Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Presents and Returning Them and Values of Stuff

I am looking at the pile of Christmas presents I got this year.  It's rather disturbing.    Clothing in six different sizes that will have to be returned and exchanged if I am ever to wear any of it.  And then there's the knick knacks.  People paid money for these things, and I keep thinking about the necessity of it all.   I mean I keep wondering where is the necessity of it?   What am I going to do with eight candles that smell like fruit of one kind or another.  I don't like to smell fruit, I like to eat fruit.  Fake fruit smells don't really turn me on.  I do like spice smells and floral scents, but the fake fruit scents are yucky.  And another basket.  I got another basket.  I know!  I will place the candles in the basket and find someone who would appreciate them!

Meantime I picked up a couple more things that I should have left where they were.  One is a small table my father assembled.  I could have let it go to the charity place, but my father made it out of a marble top, and a plaster of paris candlestick that I made many years ago.  So now it sits on my front porch.  Maybe I will find a place for it.  The other is an antique croquet set....parts of an antique croquet set.  I think I will take pictures of it and see if anyone in the world can use the balls and mallets from an antique croquet set.   Oh yeah, and I brought home a couple of yards of furry material that Zach used to make a wind cover for a microphone.  Maybe I can make furry mice for cat Christmas presents for next year.   Shouldn't I be doing something more productive for my keep?   I've worked for 47 years, and have many office skills.  I've run at least one manufacturing company when the people who were supposed to be running it fell down on the job.  I kept a law office open for six months while the attorney was incapacitated.    I've written numerous business plans for others.   And I can make wind buffers for microphones...and numerous other things.  

My friend Kathy's daughter always used to make her father upset whenever anything needed to be done, or fixed, or whatever.  She'd say "Call Jana.  Jana can do anything."   I guess I can pretty much.  My father told me "nearly anything you need to know how to do is in a book, or there is someone around who can teach you how to do it.  Nothing is impossible."

I think part of my talent is that I can look at a problem from outside the box, and look for answers outside the box.  The answers I come up with may be unique, but often they are the answers needed.  

A friend of mine who is Mexican wanted me to teach her how to make a pinata.  I did.  Then I taught her how to make "Mexican gravy" for putting over burritos.  I thought it was funny that I was teaching a Mexican friend to make Mexican things.    I don't like to tell someone they can't do something.  I'd rather try to show them how to do something they think they can't do.

I think I'll go to bed and see what time I get awakened in the morning when someone thinks of me at some early hour when I'm not really ready to wake up!!   This morning it was 5:46 a.m.  I went back to sleep and slept until 8:30.  But I was up until 3:30 a.m. writing.   I wonder if I woke anyone up thinking of them at 3:30 a.m.?   This merry-go-round of wondering is wonderfully fun.

Love and kisses...Jana

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going to be hitting the next sale soon to get most of my presents for relatives and friends. Just need to make a list now I think, on what I will be buying!
We also do a shoebox appeal in where members of our local church each pack an empty shoe box with tinned foods to send over to the African countries so they can have a better Christmas.