Monday, January 1, 2007

HAPPY NEW YEAR

07?   Oh, God!  How could it be 07 already!?

I was wondering why I didn't wake up until nearly 11:00 Saturday.  Then it was nearly 9:00 on Sunday.    I wonder what time I will be awakened on New Year's Day.  Here it is 1:00 a.m. and I'm not the least bit sleepy.

I had a small party with my friend Becky and her two grown children, Patrick and Whitney.  I baked a couple loaves of bread and made some cheese spreads, and opened a bottle of wine I've had in the cupboard since 2002.   We watched television and Fritz the cat entertained us with his antics.  We're easy.   Half a cup of wine nearly did me in.  You can tell I don't drink much, since I've had that wine for five years.

They thought the bread was wonderful and wanted the recipe.   I don't use a recipe to make bread.  I put in yea much flour and mix in some salt, and then I put some hot water in a cup and add sugar and yeast, then I dump it into the flour , and then I throw in a couple or three eggs, and some oil, and I mix it all up, and let my mixer do the kneading.  Then I let it rise, punch it down, divide it into loaves and let the loaves rise, then I bake it.  It feels right when the dough feels like a baby's bottom.

Anyway, I tried to figure out just how much of everything I put in so I could give them a recipe.  My grandmother used to do the same thing for me when I asked for recipes.   She'd make motions with her hands to show me how much of things to put in.  Or she'd say, "lard the size of three eggs and four handfuls of sugar".     I can't help it, that's the way I learned to bake.  I've been baking since I was eight years old.

Saturday night about 9:30 p.m. I went on Amazon and listed a book that has been taking up space in my house.  It made a good doorstop.  It was huge, weighed 8 pounds and was of absolutely no use to me.  It was given to my son by one of my former employers.  I listed in on Amazon and just for the heck of it put a price tag of $100 on it.   I awoke this morning to learn I had sold it!!   So I spent time putting up some autographed books that I don't need.  One of them though was George Plimpton, and I didn't really want to part with it, so I put an outrageous price on it.  Wonder what will happen with that one!!

No comments: