Thursday, January 11, 2007

Left Behind Christmas Things

It happens every single year.   You go around the house, making sure you've gotten all of the Christmas stuff and put it away, and after everything is packed up you find something that didn't make it!  This year there was so much I'm going to have to make another trip to the attic!   Usually it's some tiny thing that I just put into my curio cabinet until next year.  This year it was all of the window lights and decorations.  I had unplugged them on New Year's Day and completely forgotten to take them out of the window.  So all of the candelabra and snowmen and angels that lit the windows are now assembled in a plastic bag waiting to go into the attic.  As I was doing that I was assembling some more thoughts about Christmas presents.  At some point in the last couple of weeks I've been mulling over the expression "it's the thought that counts", and I've decided if there's no thought given to the character and wishes of the person for whom you are giving a gift, you ought not to give them anything.

Even though there have been years when I was having "a case of the shorts" as an old high school friend used to call it, I've always managed to, at the very least, make something for everyone on my list.  When I make those things for people, I think particularly about the person I'm making it for as I make it.  I might not have spent tons of money on what I made, but I put a lot of love and heart into it.  In many cases I've spent many, many hours making presents for people.  I've decided it is the thought that counts, and I'm going to be thinking a lot harder about it from now on, no matter my economic condition at the time.

Merry Christmas...and that's the last time I say it for another 11 months and 15 days.  Love and kisses.  Jana

No comments: