Saturday, January 13, 2007

Which Came First the Chicken or the Mouse

Well, if the mouse dies how do you install a new mouse?   With the keyboard.  But I don't know all of the keyboard tricks to get around.  So I had to go buy a new mouse and I got an optical mouse that has special software that goes with it.  But if you don't have a cursor that works how do you install it?  I finally used the keyboard arrows and got it to install, but then it came up in Italian!   If I'd had a mouse I could have simply scrolled up to English and clicked on it, but nothing I did would make it move.  So I read the Italian, and figured out one said Next and one said Cancel.  I clicked on the next using my arrow keys and the enter key.   It began to install.   I finally got it in, and then it automatically shut the computer down and started it back up again.   And it still didn't work.   So I disconnected it from the mouse port and took off the cheater and plugged it into the USB port and the computer recognized it!   Then I figured out how to turn the computer off without the mouse again, and it restarted and Voila!   The mouse works!

The moral to the story is:  Number 1:  When the mouse begins to stagger around the room as if he's dying, run out and buy a new mouse while the old mouse is still breathing so that you can at least get the old mouse to install the new mouse!    Number 2:  Throw away all of the old meese in your house!   I must have tried three or four of them, and none of them would work.  There's usually a reason the old mouse is lying around the house unattached to a computer!   Throw things away when they don't work!

This new mouse doesn't have a roller ball.  It's an optical mouse, and it has a little eye on the bottom that sees whatever its sitting on and determines which way it is going.  You don't have to say Gee or Haw or Whoah or Giddyup or anything!   It's sort of like a horse that knows the way home!   Oh wow.  Now I'm really dating myself! 

 

No comments: