Friday, November 17, 2006

Thanksgiving and Tradition and Changes

Tradition is a big thing with me.  And I don't like changes, especially to tradition.  My son is going to be gone on Thanksgiving, so we are "doing" Thanksgiving on the Sunday before.  The family is all getting together at my brother's house. 

My brother lives just down the road from the farm where we grew up.  He bought a few acres from the Amish who have pretty much taken over our old farm (it was in our family beginning in the early 1800's, out of the family for about ten years, and then my parents bought it back in the 40's...they sold it when we moved to Urbana, Illinois in 1959.)  We always intended to buy it back, but once the Amish get it, it's never the same.  Where there was the house, chicken house, grainery & barn that my great-great grandparents built, now there are six houses, and a school.  It was a pretty farm with white buildings, and now it is dirty and ugly.  I'd still like to own a pretty farm around my hometown of South Whitley one of these years.   Stick with me, we're still talking about tradition and change here. 

So back to Thanksgiving and Tradition and Change.  Since Zach is going to be gone for Thanksgiving and probably Christmas this year, I've got to deal with the changes.  I've already put the Xmas tree up, because I want him to see it before he leaves.  The first year I went to California, I didn't get back for Christmas either.  I haven't missed a Christmas in Indiana since, however.   I know that my son (who didn't want to grow up to be an engineer like his Daddy, but wanted to be a truckdriver like his Mommy--'nother story, stay tuned) is pretty much doing things the way I did them.  I know how I brought him up, and I am reassured in knowing that.  He will live his adventures and come back to settle down.

Family traditions are important, but life goes on, and changes occur that make things different every year.  People cross over to the other side, children get married, new babies are born, and adjustments have to be made for every new thing that occurs. 

The most important thing to remember is to keep the spirit of the tradition, to move over a bit for the changes, and to keep love in everything you do.  Family is very important.  I've made sacrifices for myself and for others so that family and tradition can carry on.  Knowing that God lovesyou and your  family, and that no matter what, we're never alone, keeping love for our family and friends in our hearts, and being bolstered by the Love of Creator is good.  Good friends and family are connected by an invisible thread that keeps us together no matter the circumstances we find ourselves in at any moment.  There is great comfort in knowing this.  There is also great comfort in knowing one is loved. 

No comments: