Friday, November 17, 2006

Irony, and Wishes and Etc.

One of my Synchronicity cards says "Things are not always as they appear to be." In my book The Wish Factory: How to Make Wishes Come True, I write we don’t always give our dreams and wishes time to come true, and we unwish them before they have a chance. I wrote in Wishing Instructions "sometimes everything in the world has to move over just a fraction of an inch for your wish to come true." How was I to know some of these things wished 44 years ago are still in the process of coming true, and might take another twenty years or more to become manifest. Perhaps they won’t manifest on this plane at all, but if it is to be it really doesn’t matter. If it takes eternity there’s a certain comfort in knowing one wasn’t wrong to believe in the dream. If a thing was meant to be, then it has always been, and will always be what it is.

In 1989 I went on a business trip to Ann Arbor, Michigan with the Food Co-op. I was on the board back then. The fact I was going to Ann Arbor was ironic, let alone my thoughts as I drove to and from. I was thinking about my marriage. My then husband, after many years, showed interest in something I was doing. He asked about the trip, when I was leaving, when I’d get back and etc. I should have known something was up. I drove there, attended numerous meetings, stayed over night, and at the motel looked through the phone book. I’d lived in Royal Oak from the time I was six months until I was five. I found in the phone book the name of a child I had wished for, and thought would never come true.

On the way back I was making plans for the next five years of my life, including buying a new car, putting money away for savings, and then in five years, after my child graduated from high school, I intended to file for divorce. My husband wasn’t a bad person, we just didn’t belong together, not when my heart had been somewhere else for way longer than I’d ever known him. I married him because my mother said he was a nice guy. But he didn’t belong married to me, either.

I got home Sunday night to find the husband had moved things up a bit. He had taken my threats "it’s all community property anyway" seriously, and while I was gone he’d moved out, taking all of his toys, afraid I’d try to keep them. They were fifteen or more years old by then! He was welcome to them. After I got over the initial shock and the fear, I was happy to get on with my life. It took about an hour to adjust, and then I took the "marital mattress" and threw it down the stairs and out the front door. My friends call that a "Cherokee Divorce". I slept on the couch a couple of nights until I purchased a lovely new mattress. I love my bed! Life has been incredibly good thereafter. I have a terrific son from that union.. I’m very proud of him.

Perhaps I should have realized from the very beginning back in 1963, adventurer I am, I’d been given a life to seek out adventures, have fun and then write about them, content with the knowledge somebody loved me, and he would love me for eternity, no matter where we found ourselves in the meantime. Ironic, isn’t it.

No comments: