Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Selling Oneself or Bragging About One's Abilities

I was brought up with the idea that it was "unladylike" to brag about one's abilities.  Therefore, when it comes to selling my "products" i.e., my writing, it is very difficult for me to "sell myself", i.e., brag about my accomplishments.  I know that I write "good stuff".  I know I get good ideas, marketable ideas.  I know I ought to spend a lot more time "talking up my abilities."   But it always comes back to the same thing...i.e., guilt about bragging about my accomplishments.     An ideal situation would be to have somebody else do the bragging for me, but even to do that I have trouble finding agents, because it still comes back to bragging about myself.  And then there is the idea that when one has made friends with people of influence, it is somehow not right to take advantage of that friendship by appealing to them to help me.   However, at some point, I am going to have to do it.    Or find someone to do it for me. 

At present, I am working on Christmas stuff, and getting Zach and his friend's "ends tied up" here in town.    And I'm also writing my novel.  I love doing that.  The writing is so much fun, and the selling of my writing is difficult.    Help!!  

No comments: